Guided and Self-Guided
Mountain Biking and Walking Holidays
Frequently Asked Questions.
1. Who are the guides? Your guides are fully trained mountain bike leaders and qualified in emergency first aid so you will be in safe hands. They will share with you their love of Cyprus and their experience and enthusiasm for the great outdoors.
2. What if I get tired? On guided trips the support vehicle will be close by on all rides carrying refreshments, water and any spare kit you may need. You are free to use the support vehicle whenever you wish. There is no pressure on you to keep up with the rest of the group. You're on holiday so stop, take in the views and take some pictures. On self-guided trips just call us on the number given in your route notes and we will be there.
3. What about flights? Easy Jet and Ryan Air both fly to Paphos quite frequently. If your flight arrives outside of our specified pick up times, there will be a small charge to cover taxi services to your accommodation. Take a look at our sister site Cyprus Travel Secrets for more tips on finding a cheap flight.
4. Can I bring my own bike? Yes. You will need to either bag or box your bike for safe transport. Your local bike shop should be able to do this for you. Most bikes weigh at least 16kg so you will need to pack light and/or check with your airline whether there is any additional charge to take your bike. We suggest you have your bike serviced before the trip. Please bring basic spares (inner tubes, puncture repair kit and lube) and your safety gear (helmet and gloves) with you.
5. Can I hire a bike? Yes. We have a fleet of quality Orange 9 speed, v-brake front suspension bikes with a weekly hire cost of GBP £90 or our newer TREK 6000 10 speed disc brake bikes at GBP £120 per week. Please note that if you wish to cycle in cleats/spd's you will need to bring your own pedals
6. Is there a single supplement? Prices are based on shared accommodation either as a couple or sharing with someone of the same sex. If you would prefer a single room, we can arrange it and let you know the cost of the single supplement when you book.
7. What kit do I need? For our cycling trips, you do not need to buy expensive cycle clothing if you do not already own it. Lightweight (preferably breathable) t-shirts and shorts together with training shoes will be fine. If you are considering buying some cycle specific clothing, the most important piece of kit would be cycle specific shorts with padding. For our walking trips, a good pair of walking boots is the only essential item. On the clothing side, walk in whatever makes you feel comfortable. You will need a high factor suncream, sunglasses, insect repellant, a small rucksack (to carry spare clothing, camera, snacks etc on the ride or walk) and casual clothing including a sweatshirt for the evenings. For the cooler months, a fleece top and/or windshell is always useful. We will send you a kit checklist appropriate for the time of year when you book.
8. How hot will it be? Cyprus is blessed with sun all year round. In Spring (March to mid May), the countryside is ablaze with wild flowers which you can enjoy in warm sunshine with plenty of cool breezes. In Autumn (October to December), temperatures are similar but the landscape is much drier after the hot Summer months. Average temperatures during the day in these months are in the early 20's. June to September are hotter so we start rides earlier and rest during the heat of the day.
9. What about safety? Mountain biking is an active sport so can be potentially dangerous. It is compulsory to wear a helmet and gloves on all of our trips for your own safety. You will be supplied with these if hiring one of our bikes. Your guides will give a full briefing before each ride so you know what to expect.
Questions not answered? Contact us. We will be pleased to answer any query.
Site created by: Alistair J Smeaton. © Copyright 2002 - 2012